Cameroon Announces Boko Haram Separatist Offensive
Cameroon said Saturday that at least 22 people, including four soldiers, were killed in two attacks on Friday morning: one was killed by Boko Haram militants on the northern border with Nigeria, and the other by separatists fighting to create it. an independent English-speaking state in the western part of the country. regions.
Officials are warning of a new wave of violence and killings, which they say are being prepared by separatists and terrorists from Boko Haram.
Mijiyawa Bakari, governor of the extreme northern region of Cameroon, says the city of Mozogo was in turmoil when militias warned civilians about Boko Haram suicide bombers from neighboring Nigeria.
He said that some of the frightened people fled to the bushes, where they always flee, but many Nigerian suicide bombers have already hid there. According to him, 11 civilians died on the spot when bombers detonated explosives. He said that three were killed by a terrorist group in Mozogo, a city in Cameroon’s Mayo Sava administrative division.
“Yesterday (Friday) we received a Boko Haram attack in the Mayo Tsanaga area. Fourteen people have died, “Bakari said.” We have received instructions from the hierarchy to convey a message of condolences, and we condemn this act of Boko Haram, and all measures will be taken by our vigilant committees. [militias]who work day and night with our forces to protect our population. ”
Cameroon: Explosives planted by separatists kill 5 people, including a journalist
No one has yet claimed responsibility for the attack in the English-speaking separatist Northwest region.
Bakari said the injured were taken to hospitals in Mozogo and the nearby town of Mokolo. He said the military had been deployed to Mozogo to protect Cameroon’s northern border with the Nigerian state of Borno, the epicenter of Boko Haram.
Cameroonian government spokesman Rene Emmanuel Sadi said in a statement that heavily armed Boko Haram fighters had infiltrated villages around Mozogo and called for vigilance.
The statement also said that separatist fighters attacked a military post in Matazen at the western entrance to the English-speaking northwest, killing four soldiers and two civilians. Two civilians were killed when they were taken to hospitals.
Among the survivors is Clarence Tatah, a 43-year-old trader who traveled from the English-speaking city of Bamenda in the northwest of the country to the coastal city of Douala. He says that God saved his life from more than half an hour of firefight.
“I opened that door and jumped out of the car,” Tatah said. “Then I rolled over and was hit by a car. After shooting for 30-40 minutes, I found that the bullet went through my chair. [seat] and went out from behind. God protected me. The Lord saved me. “
General Valere Nka, the commander of Cameroon’s armed forces fighting separatists, says his troops have taken several wounded to hospitals. He says the physical damage was enormous. Nka says civilians should help the military find militants by reporting suspects in their communities.
He says there is still a bigger challenge ahead because there are many rebel camps that his troops must destroy. He says it’s absolutely imperative that everyone knows that the military exists primarily to protect civilians. He says he encourages people to work with the military, who are doing everything they can to protect civilians and their property and restore peace.
Cameroon has fought to defend its northern border with Nigeria from Boko Haram raids and fought separatist fighters in its western regions with British peaks.
No one claimed responsibility for the attacks in the northern city of Mozogo and the western city of Matazen.
The government, however, blames Boko Haram and separatist militants for separate attacks.
The separatist crisis, now in its fourth year, has claimed the lives of more than 3,000 people and displaced more than 500,000, according to UN figures.
Boko Haram terrorists have been fighting for 11 years to establish an Islamic caliphate in northeastern Nigeria. The fighting spread to Cameroon, Chad, Niger and Benin.
The United Nations says the violence in Boko Haram has claimed the lives of 30,000 people and displaced about 2 million people in Nigeria, Cameroon, Niger and Chad.
Source: – Voa News