Tables with cakes are no longer surprising, so other ideas appear. The latest innovation is the cheese table. It will become the center of attraction for guests during the gathering, while they are thinking about what to do and what to eat. There are hundreds of articles on the net with ideas for designing such a table, but there is no information on how to create one. We decided to tell in detail what kind of cheese to choose for the wedding, what varieties to amaze guests and where to buy them, so that it is tasty and not too expensive.
Cheese is divided into hard, soft and moldy cheeses. For a wedding, it is better to take hard varieties or some types with mold, they keep their presentation on the plate longer, do not get your hands dirty and withstand heat better.
- Emmental. The same photogenic cheese with big holes that mice prefer in cartoons. This Swiss cheese has a delicate fruity floral aroma and a sweet taste.
- Parmesan. A brittle extra-hard cheese that guests love so much. Previously, shops sold parmesan from dozens of European producers, now our farmers have learned how to make it. Place grapes, pears, walnuts and confiture next to the parmesan on a cheese plate.
- Gruyere. Cheese for a wedding, which many do not think about, but in vain. Usually this variety is used for fondue, because it melts well, but it will not be lost on a plate in the company of other cheeses. Its taste is sweetish, with light hints of nut.
Choose a cheese that is not too soft with a noble blue mold. The more blue veins, the more astringent it will be. Take Dorbla and Gorgonzola, they have a creamy taste and a pungent aftertaste, and the pieces keep their shape on the plate without spreading. For such varieties, serve grapes and flower honey.
White-mold cheeses often get dirty, so we suggest you enjoy them on your honeymoon, but not at the party.
The mouth-watering, lingering and often flowing, soft cheeses are best left for another day. If you really want to, take Camembert or Brie, but let the waiters put them on a plate in small portions. Camembert lying in the heat is a pitiful sight. Most other types of soft cheeses spread on the plate and often smell specific, they are not suitable for a celebration. We also do not recommend serving goat’s milk cheeses (soft or hard), not everyone likes them.
Cheese for a wedding – what varieties to surprise?
If you want something unusual, take a look at experimental cheeses. They are not in all cities, but if you find them, take a couple of pieces:
- Cheese with pieces of truffle. Expensive, but also delicious, especially if you adore this delicacy.
- Cheese with other additives. You can find anything here, the ingredients depend only on the imagination of the cheese maker. Delicious additives: fenugreek, pistachios, Italian herbs and lavender.
- Cheese in wine. It is aged in wine for several months, getting a fragrant crust and a pronounced taste of the drink. Take this cheese to a wedding, guests will love it.
- Cheese sweets. Yes, there are those too! Although they are called sweets, they are primarily cheese mixed with sweetish fillings. The taste is unusual, like about half of those who tried it.
Where to buy cheese?
It is easier and more affordable to buy at the supermarket, but you will not find most of the cheeses mentioned in the article there. In addition, factory cheeses taste very different from farm ones, often not for the better. We recommend taking cheese to the wedding directly from the cheese makers, there are already hundreds of them throughout Russia. We like:
Cheese Factory “Russian cheese” Oleg Sirota specializes in hard and semi-hard varieties. Especially good are “Governor’s”, “Istrinsky” and “Festivalny”. The cheeses are sold in their own stores in Moscow and the region.
Aldini, an Italian cheese factory, makes incredible blue cheese. If you love it and buy at the supermarket, try what Aldini does – you won’t go to a regular store anymore, the difference is so obvious. Start your acquaintance with Gorgonzola Dolce. The cheese factory is located in the Orekhovo-Zuevsky district of the Moscow region, but sells its products in Moscow.
Mamontovskaya cheese dairy makes good cheeses with additions of fenugreek, pistachios and others. Located in the Moscow region, but supplies stores throughout the country.
In the Italian tradition has kachotta tasty truffle and other additives. The cheese factory is located in Moscow, but it also has its own online store.
The delicacy is also bought in online cheese stores, they have a large selection of different varieties, including those from the farmers mentioned above. Some sites have delivery throughout Russia (for example, Cheese Sommelier ).
Rules for collecting a cheese table
- To ensure that your idea is implemented as it should, make sure that the cheese table is located in a cool place, away from direct sunlight or lighting fixtures.
- Do not mix cheeses, lay out hard, soft, moldy varieties and cheeses with additives separately. Place especially odorous or flowing cheeses on separate plates.
- Let them spread soft cheeses in portions, immediately taking them out of the refrigerator.
- Serve fruits (grapes, pears, melons), jam, nuts and honey with cheeses. Be careful with honey and nuts, removing them if any of the guests have allergies.
- Take care of the serving: put the cheese on wooden planks, put plates for guests and cutlery so that they can take the cheese without touching it.