Chidinma transferred N50,000 per apartment from Ataga’s account after death – Owner reveals

Chidinma transferred N50,000 per apartment from Ataga's account after death - Owner reveals

A 300-level mass communication student at the University of Lagos, Chidinma Ojukwu, was accused of killing the 50-year-old man.

Nkechi Mogbo, the woman who appears to be the owner of the service apartment used by the murdered CEO of Super TV, Michael Ataga, told the court how she rented her apartment, according to The PUNCH.

A 300-level mass communication student at the University of Lagos, Chidinma Ojukwu, was accused of killing the 50-year-old man.

Chidinma and two others, Adedapo Quadri and Chioma Egbuchu, are on trial before Judge Yetunde Adesanya of the Lagos State High Court, seated in Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos state.

Mogbo, while testifying on Thursday, told the court that he rented a self-service apartment for short-term accommodation.

She said, “The apartment is fully furnished with cable TV, 24 hour power services and a well equipped kitchen. Couples and people from out of town who come for weddings regularly book the apartment online or through agent referrals. “

The witness, while being conducted as evidence by the director of public prosecution, Ms. Adeyinka Adeyemi, said: “On June 13, around 16:00, a lady called me on the phone with a private number and asked for the ‘apartment. The lady asked to see the apartment to make sure the facilities were up to the standard she needed. “

The witness said that after visiting the apartment, the lady, via WhatsApp message, confirmed that she would take the apartment for three days.

The witness stated that Chidinma “He left the service apartment before the day he was supposed to leave.”

Mogo added, “He said his name was Jewel and I forwarded the payment details, after which he sent the proof of payment of N125,000 to my WhatsApp.

“The payment was made through a commercial bank account of a certain Mr. Micheal Usifo and my name as the recipient”.

She further told the court that after two days, on June 15 around 5:30 pm, Chidinma sent another message to her WhatsApp, stating that her friend would stay for another two days.

The witness added that the payment was made from Ataga’s GTB account, adding that later, when she called her security guard about another issue, the guard told her that “A body was found on the grounds of the apartment.”

“I tried to contact the lady on the phone, but she dropped the call. Then he texted me that he was in a meeting.

“I sent a message that the payment made in the morning has not been credited to me”, the witness said.

She claimed Chidinma replied that her friend would make another payment, adding that a few minutes later she received another N50,000 from Ataga’s account.

“After a couple of hours, I sent her a message that I have received the initial payment of N50,000 and that I have given the security officer the extra N50,000 for him to collect.

“She did not come; sent a message that he would use it to pay another two days for her friend. I reported the incident to the Maroko police station “, the witness said.

Mogbo then told the court that she was taken to the State Bureau of Investigation and Intelligence in Panti, Yaba, where she spent seven days in custody to help police carry out a proper investigation.

She said she couldn’t initially identify Chidinma when she was taken to the station, adding that it was with the help of a photo she obtained from her phone that she was able to identify the suspect.

He also claimed that his conversations with the first defendant were carried out via WhatsApp.

The DPP offered the printed copy of the WhatsApp conversation as proof.

However, the first defendant’s lawyer, Onwuka Egbu, contested the admissibility of the document.

He said: “It is a public document that must be certified before it can be used as evidence.”

Judge Adesanya quashed Egbu and admitted the document as evidence.

Egbu then asked the court for a postponement to allow him to study the documents, as well as prepare for the cross-examination of the witness.

The judge postponed the case to November 15, 2021.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.