#EndSARS: FG will not allow anarchy in Nigeria, warns Lai Mohammed
The Nigerian government has warned it will not watch the #EndSARS protests escalate into anarchy following the violence that followed the demonstration.
This was announced on Saturday by the Minister of Information and Culture Alhaji Lai Mohammed, speaking on the evening news program of the Nigerian Television Authority “Weekend File”.
The program was called EndSARS Protest: The Way Forward.
The minister said the protests had been taken over by thugs and people with a specific agenda.
He noted that while the original protesters may have had good intentions, it was clear that they no longer controlled the initiative.
“Peaceful protest is an integral part of democracy and that is why the federal government has treated the protesters in a very civilized manner over the past 11 days.
“But if you look at what happened to the Governor of Osun State, it went beyond a peaceful protest against excesses and abuse of power by the police.
“There is no place in the world where the government will fold its hands and allow the country to fall into anarchy.
“We are no longer dealing with #EndSARS, but a volatile situation that could lead to anarchy if the government does not take very tough measures to protect the lives and livelihoods of innocent Nigerians,” he said.
The minister added that the protests have gone beyond peaceful, because lives have been lost and innocent Nigerians, including workers and students, are going through heartbreaking experiences.
In particular, he said, as protesters block roads and highways, it is difficult for workers to reach their offices and return home, while many Nigerians are stuck on the roads.
“We have nothing against peaceful protest, but there are civilian ways to do it.
“It means going to a place where you won’t bother other Nigerians, because where your right ends, the right of others begins,” he said.