A statewide broadcast by the Governor of Rivers State said that parts of the state would have to comply with a 24-hour curfew.
read his statement below:
My dear kind people of Rivers State,
2. We appreciate and applaud the peaceful nature of the ongoing ENDSARS protests in Rivers State.
3. Unfortunately, every day it is becoming clear that the protest was taken over by thugs in order to carnage and destroy property.
4. Earlier today, criminals attacked and destroyed police stations and courthouses in the Oyigbo local government area of the state.
5. Another group of thugs also raged in the Ikokwu spare parts markets, disrupting public order and damaging property.
6. As a government, we cannot appear helpless and allow troublemakers to take the law into their own hands and use the current situation to create a state of panic and insecurity.
7. Accordingly, today at a meeting of the State Security Council, it was decided to take the following measures to protect life and property in the state:
(i) A 24-hour curfew has been imposed on Mile 1, Mile 2, Emenike, Ikokwu and Iloaubuchi in Port Harcourt from 6:30 pm today, October 21, 2020.
(ii) a 24-hour curfew was imposed throughout the Oyigbo Local Government from 6:30 pm today, October 21, 2020;
(iii) a 24-hour curfew was also imposed in the Obio / Akpor local government area;
(iv) security forces are ordered to impose a curfew from 6:30 pm today, October 21, 2020; is an
(v). Local government presidents are urged to mobilize fighters and work with security agencies to ensure that offenders are not allowed to disturb the peace or destroy lives and property in their local government areas.
8. We urge all citizens to remain vigilant and report all suspicious characters to security for immediate action.
9. I would like to urge our youth, under no pretext, to allow themselves to be used to restore the peace we enjoy in the state.
10. Thank you, God bless you all