If you practice mindful consumption, then at a wedding you will not want to deviate from your chosen lifestyle. We know how to reduce the harmful impact on the environment, while not severely limiting ourselves and guests. We will tell you the main things about organizing a wedding in an eco-style – from new ideas in decor to working methods of nature conservation.
Eco wedding principles
- What you do should be based on the environmental mitigation rule. An eco wedding is often compared to a rustic wedding, and although they look alike, it is important for a rustic to be closer to nature, but not to preserve it. Rustic is freshly cut flowers, linen tablecloths, juicy shish kebab – something that is not suitable for an eco holiday.
- Don’t go to extremes trying to make every step sustainable. This is impracticable and threatens with a spoiled mood. Instead of limiting yourself, choose reasonable measures that won’t ruin your dream holiday.
- Look for an outdoor setting – this way you use fewer design elements, focusing on naturalness.
Just as theater starts with a coat rack, so a wedding starts with invitations, so think about them first. Be sure to mention the topic of the wedding, because it is not very popular yet and will intrigue guests. Make eco-style invitations out of recycled paper, or opt for online cards that don’t use a drop of ink.
Images of the bride and groom
If you take the matter seriously, then you should not buy the outfits of the young, but choose a vintage or rent a dress with a suit. At the same time, we understand that second-hand things are not for everyone, especially when it comes to such a day, so we suggest taking any eco-style wedding dress you want. At the same time, you can do without a fur coat made of natural fur or shoes made of natural leather, and buy a dress made of silk, viscose or cotton. Try selling outfits after the wedding, or wear them in the future if you can.
Eco-style wedding decoration
Choose an area where you need a minimum of additional details: with textured wooden tables, interesting walls or a picturesque natural background. If you need to add something, use only natural materials – wood, stone, cork and recycled materials. No plastic! If you can rent individual pieces of decoration rather than buy them, do so.
It is not easy with flowers, because cutting flowers = harming nature, but at the same time you have a holiday, where you can’t go anywhere without floristry. There are two options:
- When choosing fresh cut flowers, opt for seasonal and local ones that grow in your area.
- For a real eco-style wedding, use potted flowers, which can then be given to guests or planted in your country house.
Give up the tablecloths, because washing them will require additional energy, the wooden table itself looks authentic. Replace paper napkins with cloth napkins (yes, they still have to be washed, but then these napkins are used many more times).
In the evening, switch away from electric lighting in favor of candles, if the site allows you to do so – save energy and create a cozy atmosphere.
This wedding also affects the meals you feed your guests. Have as much organic and local food as possible on the tables: village vegetables and fruits, homemade bread and compotes, cake made from natural ingredients. Carefully calculate portions so that there are as few leftovers as possible, but do not overdo it, hungry guests do not need anything.
Gifts for guests
Give something that is associated with careful consumption, then your eco-style wedding will also help someone to take the path of nature conservation:
- Reusable coffee mugs (not plastic)
- Cloth bags
- Seeds of trees, flowers or just vegetables
- Grains or seeds to feed the birds on the way to work
- A book or course on sustainable consumption (we like the free course “Now this way”)
- Make donations on behalf of guests to charities of their choice. Provide 2-3 options, let everyone write himself to whom he wants to transfer money.
You can also give your guests something not related to the environment, for this we have a selection of 105 gift ideas for guests .
Still have questions? Write to us, we will answer!