Lagos Attorney General issued a public statement
PRESS CONFERENCE ON THE PROPOSED ANALYSIS #ENDSARS #OccupyLekkiTollGate “
1. Our attention is drawn to the planned protest action scheduled for Saturday 13 February 2021 at the Lecchi toll station for and against the opening of the Admiralty toll station.
2. The State is aware of Articles 39 and 40 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), which guarantee the right to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly. However, this right does not allow violation of the rights of other citizens in the state.
3. While the state recognizes the importance of exercising the right to peaceful protest, it cannot extend to blocking roads and / or preventing other members of the public from enjoying their fundamental rights of free movement within the state.
4. Any person or group with such a desire to protest should also be aware of the 2021 Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Regulations, which prohibit any gathering of more than 50 people, and other security measures, including but not limited to maintaining social distance and use of the face. mask.
5. The Attorney General hereby urges everyone to ensure compliance with the COVID-19 Regulations and any other laws in force in the state. The right to peaceful protest does not exempt anyone from breaking the law.
Consequently, any violator will be prosecuted within the framework of the law.
6. In addition, any natural or legal person who instigates or justifies any action leading to the destruction of public or private property will be prosecuted, and in addition to any sanction that a court may impose, such natural or legal person will be subject to responsibility to compensate for any damage arising from the actions or omissions of this natural or legal person.
7. The Nigerian police are also strongly encouraged to respect the citizen’s rights guaranteed by the 1999 Constitution (as amended) and to carry out their duties in accordance with the law in response to any protest.
Moyosore Onigbanjo SAN
Honorable Attorney General and Commissioner of Justice of the State of Lagos