Lekki Shootings: Amnesty International condemns threats to workers’ lives
The international human rights organization Amnesty International has stated that the lives of its employees are in danger.
The organization said the lives of its employees were in danger following reports of the shooting in Lecchi on October 20, 2020.
Amnesty International said in a statement Friday that faceless groups are threatening to attack its workers and offices.
Therefore, he called on the Nigerian authorities to “guarantee the protection of the life and property of every person in the country.”
In a statement, Amnesty International is drawing the attention of the Nigerian authorities and the general public to the intimidation and direct threats of attacks that have been carried out against its employees, supporters and targets by a faceless and unknown group in a press conference on November 4, 2020.
“Such faceless groups have previously invaded our office and issued an ultimatum to us to leave Nigeria.
“Amnesty International is a global human rights movement and we are independent of any government. Our mandate is to hold authorities accountable for their human rights obligations and obligations. We have been doing this consistently since June 1967, when we first started operating in Nigeria and Nigeria.
“Anyone whose rights have been violated has the right to an effective remedy. Identifying human rights violations and obtaining compensation is highly dependent on the level of security enjoyed by civil society groups such as Amnesty International.
“The Nigerian authorities have a legal responsibility to ensure that the life and property of every person in the country is protected. Harmful threats will not prevent us from continuing to speak out against human rights violations by state and non-state actors. ”
PUNCH previously reported that Amnesty posted a schedule of shootings of #EndSARS protesters at the Lecchi toll booth.