Lekki Shootings: US Reaffirms Visa Ban Policy for Non-Democratic Forces
The United States government may bar some people from entering their country if charged with the shooting of Lecca.
According to The PUNCH, the US government may impose visa restrictions on people found guilty of shooting unarmed #EndSARS demonstrators at Lekki Toll Plaza in Lagos on Tuesday.
It looks like a panel of judges set up by the Lagos state government to investigate the Lecca murders will begin investigating the incident on Monday.
Soldiers involved in suppressing the protests opened fire on the demonstrators. While defense headquarters denied placing soldiers in the toll plaza of Lekki, Governor Babajide Sanvo-Olu insisted that the military shoot peaceful protesters in the toll plaza.
The governor said: “For clarity, it needs to be explained that no current governor has any control over the rules for the use of the military. However, I have ordered an investigation into the rules of engagement adopted by the Nigerian troops who were stationed at the toll station in Lekki last night. ”
While the death toll remains a matter of controversy, Amnesty International says 12 people were killed in the incident.
Later on Saturday, PUNCH sent an e-mail request to the US Foreign Office in Nigeria, asking if anyone with shooting deficiencies would be barred from entering the United States.
The e-mail said: “With regard to the shooting at the toll booth in Lekki in Lagos and attacks on protesters in various parts of the country, the US government will consider banning visas for people who have been experiencing problems in recent weeks. ? “
In its response, the embassy said: “We remain true to Secretary of State Pompeo’s October 8, 2020 declaration: adhering to these democratic norms and the rule of law allows all citizens to engage in political dialogue and support their choice of candidates, parties and platforms.
“We will closely monitor the actions of people who interfere with the democratic process and will not hesitate to consider the consequences, including visa restrictions.”
Earlier, senior US government officials met with Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Thursday and expressed their displeasure with the shooting.
Although the Nigerian military denied the presence of soldiers at the scene, US officials demanded that the soldiers behind the shootings be held accountable.
State Department spokesman Morgan Ortagus said in a statement that the officials were led by US State Department adviser Ulrich Brechbuhl.
The meeting was also attended by Assistant Secretary of State Robert Destro and Assistant Secretary of State Denise Natalie.
Officials, according to the statement, expressed concern about the ongoing violence in Nigeria, as well as human rights violations and human trafficking.
The statement read: “Adviser T. Ulrich Brechbuhl met today with Vice President of Nigeria Yemi Osinbajo in Abuja, Nigeria, as part of a previously planned delegation that included Assistant Secretary of State Robert Destro and Assistant Secretary of State Denise Natali. to raise the issue of violence in Nigeria, human rights, religious freedom and human trafficking, and hear from senior government officials in Nigeria how they are addressing these issues.
“The adviser condemned the United States for the excessive use of force by the armed forces, which opened fire on unarmed demonstrators in Lagos. He expressed his condolences to the victims of the shelling and called on the Nigerian government to honor its obligation to bring those responsible to justice in accordance with the law. ”
According to the statement, Osinbajo, as well as his adviser, noted that the right to peaceful assembly and freedom of expression are fundamental human rights and fundamental democratic principles.
“Advisor Brechbuhl and Vice President Osinbajo highlighted the importance of the United States and Nigeria working together to achieve the common goals of enhancing security cooperation and strengthening economic partnerships to promote mutual prosperity,” the statement said.
On Wednesday, the Nigerian military denied soldiers were at the toll station, despite eyewitness reports and video evidence showing the soldiers shooting.
International Criminal Court prosecutor Fatou Bensouda also acknowledged the reports of the incident.
He tweeted: “My office has been closely following developments related to the ongoing protests in Nigeria and the reactions of Nigerian law enforcement and security services.
“Any loss of life or injury is worrying. We have received information on alleged crimes and are monitoring developments in the event that violence escalates and any signs of Rome Statute crimes appear.
However, President Major General Muhammadu Bukhari (ret.) Did not mention any investigation or arrest during his national broadcast on Thursday.