Online wedding – how to organize and host?
The world has changed, and the tasks of the entire population of the planet have changed. It’s time to adjust to our new reality. If you do not want to cancel your wedding due to coronavirus , we suggest holding an online wedding. Together with the organizer Dasha Lyapina, we will tell you how to do it right. Dasha has already held several weddings of a similar format for clients and shared with us the secrets of the organization.
How is an online wedding going?
Newlyweds and guests are connected to a pre-created event on the remote conference platform. The event has a host – he leads the guests according to a program previously agreed with the young, monitors the sequence of congratulations, and organizes contests. The presenter also acts as a moderator, making sure that no one is lost, and the guests turn on their microphones when they speak.
The optimal duration of such a wedding is no more than three hours, do not forget that the guests are sitting in front of the screens, and you get tired of it.
What technical features are important to know?
To organize an online wedding, you will need access to a platform for remote conferences with the ability to video call and connect a large number of participants. Zoom copes well with this task – up to a thousand people can attend the event, and the quality of the connection is quite high. The free plan allows you to use Zoom for 40 minutes without interruption, after which guests will have to reconnect. This is inconvenient, so we would recommend a paid plan ($ 15 for an event with up to 100 guests).
Make sure each guest has a microphone and camera (already built into laptops and smartphones). If someone does not have the ability to transmit video, it is insulting, but not critical – they will still see everything that happens at the event.
How to invite guests to an online wedding?
We offer two options to choose from:
- An electronic invitation that you send by e-mail or messenger.
- Add invitees to the chat in the messenger, informing them about the upcoming event.
In each of the options include information about the day and time of the event, its duration and a link to the conference (or say that you will send it on the right day). Also include a dress code if planned.
How to feed the guests?
“But what about the banquet?” – you ask and you will be right. A wedding without a treat in our country is not a wedding at all. Therefore, food delivery from a good cafe in their city is organized for guests. To do this, it is necessary to agree in advance with the cafe on the delivery of a large number of orders, providing them with a list of addresses and the number of persons at each address. It is better to order snacks and food that either does not need to be reheated, or one that does not suffer after heating in the microwave – after all, the delivery will deliver the cooked all day. If guests need props, you can also order it to the address of the cafe (having warned the cafe in advance and paid for the props before delivery) and provide the manager with another list – what and to which address to take along with the food.
In the same way, you can arrange the delivery of a wedding cake if you order it separately from the main menu. More precisely – wedding mini-cakes or pastries for each of the guests.
How to dress for young people and guests?
Already bought a wedding dress and a groom’s suit? An online wedding is no worse than a regular one – dress smartly, do your makeup and hair. Everything should be the way you would do for an offline event, only instead of a stylist you will do your own image. If a stylist has already been selected, invite him to help with video communication tips during the gathering.
Guests should also dress up and comb their hair, stretched sweatpants and their favorite T-shirt with cats are best left for the next day.
How to create an entertainment program?
You need a presenter, he is also a moderator, who will do his job almost the way he would do it at a traditional celebration.
Entertainment for an online wedding is the same as usual, but adjusted due to the specifics of the event:
- The guests will say congratulations to the young people as planned. Unfortunately, until they hug and kiss you, but this can be postponed until a personal meeting.
- You will dance the first dance to the song chosen for this , and the guests will join you at home.
- Contests and interactions should be for everyone to have fun. For example, a typical guest poll could be turned into an auction where guests raise their hand before turning on the microphone. Or arrange a game among the guests – who will quickly find a given item in his house.
- A DJ or a cover band will set the mood! If the budget allows, you can invite your favorite star – now they are sitting at home and will gladly give a small concert. For example, this is how the guests congratulated the couple by inviting the singer Ellie Goulding
Here is an approximate program of the event, which you can change at your discretion:
- Greeting guests with young people and the host, telling what will happen.
- Congratulations from parents
- First dance with a flash mob for guests
- “Banquet” and congratulations to the guests, in between, interactive and contests
- Creative guest performances (up to 3 minutes per guest)
- Cover band or dj performance
- Sparklers to end the evening (which you will bring to guests with your meal)
Online wedding rules of conduct
There are not so many rules, but they are. We offer to familiarize guests with them in advance:
- Respect each other and remember that you cannot speak and do in front of the camera what you do not say and do in reality.
- Do not interrupt each other and do not talk to everyone together (this is what a moderator is needed for).
- Remember that other people may walk behind your back and itch / cough / make other sounds that should not be at the party. Follow this!
How to make a photo session?
During the event, you can take screenshots, but it is better, before or after it, to arrange a remote photo session with a photographer via video communication (yes, you can do that too!) Just find a suitable place for this in the apartment, where in the background there will be nothing of what you are do not want to see in the photos.
What to present to the bride and groom if you are a guest?
You can buy something in the online store and order delivery home to the bride and groom, but it’s better to just transfer money to the card.
We hope you understand that it is quite possible to arrange an online wedding, it will be fun and easy for you with your guests, and if you wish, you will also get beautiful photos in wedding dresses!
CLICK TO DROP YOUR COMMENT