Sanwo-Olu confirmed two deaths from shooting at Lekki

Posted by on Oct 22, 2020, Under: News

Sanwo-Olu confirmed two deaths from shooting at Lekki

Lagos Governor Babajide Sanvo-Olu said two deaths were confirmed as a result of the Lekki shooting on Tuesday.

Ms. Sanwo-Olu said this on Thursday in an interview with Arise TV.

Earlier, he said that as a result of Lekka’s shot, there were no deaths.

However, on Wednesday, Mr Sanwo-Olu said there had been a death record in the hospital, but the state is still investigating whether it was caused by the shooting.

“We are now receiving information that a man died from a head injury at Reddington Hospital. This is an unfortunate and very sad loss. This is an isolated case. We are still investigating if he was a protester, ”he wrote on his Twitter.

Thursday, Sanwo Olu said there are currently two confirmed deaths among protesters in Lekki. It is unclear if the patient he previously mentioned is among the confirmed deaths.

Lekki Shooting

The shooting at Lekki took place at around 19:00 on Tuesday, when soldiers opened fire on unarmed demonstrators who were holding a peaceful protest at the toll collection point in Lekki.

The #EndSARS protest, a campaign against police brutality and police reform, has been running in several states in Nigeria for over two weeks.

Protesters outside a toll station in Lekki protested peacefully about a week before Tuesday’s incident, which was condemned locally and internationally, including Mr Sanwo-Olu.

While protests in parts of the country escalated to violence, especially after security officials attacked protesters, the protest in Lecchi remained peaceful and well-organized, with protesters even picking up trash.

However, on Tuesday, just hours after Sanwo Olu declared a state curfew, soldiers opened fire to disperse protesters.

Amnesty International estimates that 12 people were killed in the shooting at Lekki and another similar person in Alaus, Ikea.

Mr. Sanvo-Olu condemned the attack and said that he was not involved in the deployment of the soldiers.

Speaking of Thursday’s shooting, Mr. Sanwo-Olu said he was “unaware of the military’s protocols and how they were leaving their chain of command.”

“I don’t know how the officers did everything wrong, because it was ordered that the police would not come out until 22-22: 30, when all citizens had to get to their homes. This is completely contrary to what we stand for.

“The army does not report to me, I reported this to the high command of the army,” he said.

The governor said the state will investigate the incident and has urged residents who have strong evidence of further deaths from the Lekki shooting to turn them over to a committee of inquiry he intends to organize over the shooting.

“This is not something to be hushed up. A judicial commission will be set up to investigate. I brought it to the highest military level, “he said.

Source: – Premium Times


CLICK TO DROP YOUR COMMENT