Do you plan to continue your higher education in New Zealand? Let me tell you that New Zealand would be the perfect place to provide you with not only a high quality education but also an extraordinary life experience. New Zealand universities are ranked in the top 3% of universities in the world (according to the QS World University Rankings). You can even afford a great lifestyle if you decide to apply for a scholarship to study abroad in New Zealand. In this article, we have a list of the best scholarships to study in New Zealand for you.
Why apply for a scholarship in New Zealand?
To understand the importance of scholarships while studying, take a look at the chart below, which shows the costs of international students in New Zealand.
Source: ICEF Monitor
Spending by international students in New Zealand has increased by more than 50%, according to a survey conducted by ICEF Monitor. 27.9% of spending is in the university sector with private institutions (PTE). English language service providers (ELS), high schools and institutes of technology, polytechnics and wananga (ITP) account for roughly equal shares in the balance of spending. There are so many expenses dedicated to your education that maintaining living expenses can be a challenge. That is why we encourage you to check your eligibility and apply for the scholarships below to study abroad in New Zealand.
New Zealand Government Scholarships
The New Zealand government is committed to producing talented professionals who will eventually become useful members of society. That being said, when you apply for a New Zealand Government Scholarship, make sure that your field of study matches the needs of your country. These New Zealand Study Abroad Scholarships are available to students who wish to study at an undergraduate or postgraduate level. Subjects may include agriculture, disaster risk management, private sector development, public sector development, and more. The scholarship is open to students from Asia, Africa, the Pacific, Latin America, the Caribbean, and Commonwealth countries.
Eligibility for the New Zealand Government Scholarship:
- Applicant must be at least 18 years of age when applying for these New Zealand Scholarships.
- There is no upper age limit to apply for this scholarship, however applicants under the age of 40 are preferred.
- You must comply with the conditions of a New Zealand student visa.
- Before you apply for this scholarship, you must already select your area of study and course. You do not need to be enrolled in your course, but you must meet the basic requirements of the university you are applying to.
- You must also prove your English proficiency by taking standardized English proficiency tests.
- You must agree to return to your country for a minimum of 2 years. Here you must agree to contribute to the socio-economic development of your country. This is required in order to meet the requirements for study abroad scholarships in New Zealand.
New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships
New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships are offered to students from Southeast Asian countries who wish to pursue higher education in New Zealand. The country offers students who belong to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) the intention to help them achieve sustainable development in their countries.
Who is eligible?
You are only eligible to apply for these study abroad scholarships in New Zealand if you meet the criteria below.
- You must be 18 years of age at the start of the scholarship.
- You must be a citizen of the Southeastern Nation or a permanent resident.
- You must agree to return to your home country within 2 years of completing the scholarship.
- You must meet the academic and educational requirements of the university or college you are applying to. Only students who have been awarded a scholarship are required to take English Proficiency Tests (EPTs) if required.
- If you are applying for a PhD program, you must also find a supervisor before applying for a scholarship.
- If you are applying for graduate studies, you must have relevant work experience. You must be able to explain how your work experience relates to the course you have applied for. You must either have 1 year of full-time work experience in a relevant field, or Experience in part-time work of 2 years.
What does the scholarship include?
- Full tuition fee
- Living allowance, which is paid every two weeks
- Medical and travel insurance
- Discounts on initial expenses (deposits, application fees, etc.)
- Assistance with dissertation and research costs for research students
Victoria University of Wellington is offering Tongarewa Scholarships to study abroad in New Zealand. They help students become generalists in their fields of study. This is because the University of Wellington offers this scholarship to excellent students who also have a good extracurricular background. Victoria University of Wellington expects Tongarev Scholars to take part in extra-curricular activities and be their ambassadors.
This New Zealand International Student Scholarship is available to international students who wish to pursue a bachelor’s or master’s degree at the Victoria University of Wellington.
- If you are applying for the first year of your undergraduate studies or wish to enter a graduate program.
- You should have already received an acceptance letter from the university before applying for this scholarship.
- This should be your first time applying for and studying at a New Zealand university.
- You must demonstrate academic excellence in your previous studies.
- This scholarship can range from NZ$5,000 to NZ$10,000.
- The amount covers partial tuition fees and is only applicable for 1 year of study.
- Tongarev scholarship holders are guaranteed accommodation in hostels. However, you must apply for accommodation for the same.
University of Auckland PhD Scholarships
If you are a student looking forward to doing research and getting your PhD in New Zealand, the University of Auckland is the perfect place to be. The University of Auckland Doctoral Scholarships are awarded to distinguished students applying for admission to the University. These study abroad scholarships in New Zealand are valued at $28,500 per year plus mandatory fees and international health insurance. It is provided to local students as well as international students who pay the same fee as local students. The scholarship is provided for a period of 36 months. If you demonstrate excellent academic performance, you can automatically apply for this scholarship when you apply for the PhD program.
New Zealand Scholarships for International Doctoral Studies
These New Zealand Study Abroad Scholarships give students the opportunity to complete a PhD in New Zealand, making travel easy and enjoyable for students. There are many universities in New Zealand that accept students with this scholarship. These scholarships are awarded based on academic merit. The award is valid for three years and covers full tuition fees, monthly living allowance, institution allowance, travel allowance, health insurance allowance, and book and dissertation allowance.
To be eligible for this scholarship, students must:
- Be international students
- Have an A grade point average or equivalent academically to date
- Meet the requirements for admission to a research doctoral program at a New Zealand university.
- Provide a Certificate of Evaluation of Education (ECE)
- Provide evidence that they have contacted the appropriate department of their chosen institution and discussed the proposed research, research interests, and the existence of appropriate oversight.
- Prove your knowledge of English
I hope you enjoyed reading this blog on scholarships to study in new zealand. If you are interested in learning more about studying in New Zealand, you may be interested in these blogs:
If you are interested in learning more about study abroad scholarships like those mentioned in this blog, check out the different scholarships available on UniScholarz and choose from a wide range of scholarships.
Get personal expert advice
Get personal expert advice