US authorities said in Osinbajo that soldiers who shot at protesters were brought before the law
Senior US government officials on Thursday met with Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and expressed their disappointment over the shooting of unarmed protesters in Lecca’s toll plaza on Tuesday.
The United States also demanded that the soldiers behind the shooting be produced.
State Department spokesman Morgan Ortagus said in a statement that the officials were led by US State Department adviser Ulrich Brechbuhl.
Others attending the meeting: Assistant Secretary of State Robert Destro and Assistant Secretary of State Denise Natalie.
Officials, according to the statement, expressed concern about the ongoing violence in Nigeria, as well as human rights violations and human trafficking.
The statement read: “Adviser T. Ulrich Brechbühl met today in Abuja, Nigeria, with Nigerian Vice President Yemi Osinbajo as part of a previously scheduled delegation that included Assistant Secretary of State Robert Destro and Assistant Secretary of State Denise Natali. to raise the issue of violence in Nigeria, human rights, religious freedom and human trafficking, and hear from senior government officials in Nigeria how they are addressing these issues.
“The adviser condemned the United States for the excessive use of force by the armed forces, which opened fire on unarmed demonstrators in Lagos. He expressed his condolences to the victims of the shelling and called on the Nigerian government to honor its obligation to bring those responsible to justice in accordance with the law. ”
According to the statement, Osinbajo and the adviser noted that the right to peaceful assembly and freedom of expression are fundamental human rights and fundamental democratic principles.
“Advisor Brechbuhl and Vice President Osinbajo highlighted the importance of the United States and Nigeria working together to achieve the common goals of enhancing security cooperation and strengthening economic partnerships to promote mutual prosperity,” the statement said.
On Wednesday, the Nigerian army denied the presence of soldiers at the toll booth, despite video evidence showing the soldiers shooting.
Source: – Punch ng