Just told your beloved YES? Congratulations, there is an exciting journey ahead of you in preparing for your dream wedding! But keep in mind – it is not always simple, and the success of the event often depends on how you enter it. Here’s what to do right after the engagement and what to refrain from for now. Spoiler – no action!
What to do after the engagement
- Exhale. Enjoy these days, rejoice in the status of the bride and the fact that you will start a family with the man of your dreams. Don’t rush to get started right away, but spend at least a week enjoying this important change in your life. And of course, admire the new piece: the wedding ring!
- After the engagement, tell your family about her. If you want to keep this event a secret for now, do not tell anyone about it. And you certainly shouldn’t post a photo with a ring on social networks or talk to your friends before your parents find out about everything. Believe me, there is nothing more unpleasant for dad and mom than hearing about the changes in your daughter’s life from strangers.
- Subscribe to the top wedding websites and blogs to help you get a closer look at what’s going on in the wedding world. In a short time, you will understand what opportunities are offered for celebrations and will be able to make informed decisions. Our Instagram has announcements of new articles, a selection of unusual ideas and a lot of useful tips, subscribe if you haven’t already: Instagram Wedding Blog.
- After the engagement with your fiancé, decide what time of year you want to get married and roughly estimate what month it might happen. It is important to create a landmark to move on, but not pick a specific date before a site is selected. It often happens that the dream restaurant is busy on the right day, but is ready to open its doors for you a week later. Finding a suitable venue for a wedding is not easy, so you should consider changing the date in order to adapt to the place you like, if necessary. When planning, leave enough time for preparation – we recommend that you set aside 5-6 months, this is a normal period for organizing your own wedding at a vigorous pace.
- Calculate how much money you are willing to spend on the celebration. This is an important question that you must answer at the start, the budget will determine many decisions. A cool wedding can be organized for any money, but you need to immediately understand your capabilities. Important principles: a thematic wedding will be more expensive than a holiday without a clear concept, a wedding abroad will most likely be more expensive than an event in Russia due to the exchange rate, but the cost of celebrations in winter and summer is almost the same – we will tell you about the reasons here .
- Dream: what kind of wedding do you want? What have you always imagined? The time after the engagement is optimal to realize what the wedding of your dreams is. Don’t skip this point when referring to a small budget! Only by understanding what an ideal holiday should be, you will embody it in reality.
- Start collecting ideas you like on Pinterest, Instagram or on your computer, but don’t get carried away: brides often drown in hundreds of beautiful pictures and can’t decide which direction to go and what to choose. Pay attention to the latest wedding trends , they will give you interesting ideas.
What not to do after the engagement
- No agreements! Do not book the first suitable restaurant, because it is free, do not negotiate with a photographer, decorator or other contractors. Allow yourself to take a closer look at the wedding market, understand how much money you are willing to spend on this or that aspect of the celebration and make an informed choice. Hasty decisions will be disappointing.
- While not proceed with the detailed planning and action. First, take a look around, think about the date, budget and idea of the celebration.
- Don’t buy a wedding dress right after your engagement. Even if this is the very Vera Wang dream dress that you dreamed every night for several years. Go shopping first, try on different styles and colors (yes, a white outfit is no longer required!) It may happen that you are stunning in a dress that you didn’t pay attention to.
- Don’t invite guests immediately after your engagement. Yes, you are happy and ready to share this with the whole world, but do you want to invite the whole world to your holiday? Be discreet when talking to coworkers, extended family, and school friends you rarely talk to – these are the first categories to fall under budget cuts, so don’t make promises. Direct questions can be elegantly avoided by brushing aside: “Oh, we haven’t even started planning anything yet!” Only invite people after you and your fiancé have put together a final guest list.
- After the engagement, it is tempting to talk to the groom only about the wedding. It’s cute in the first couple of weeks, but then it becomes a source of additional stress for both of you. As soon as you notice signs of irritation in yourself or a loved one, forget about preparing for a couple of days.
- Do not overload your family and friends with planning details – you want them to be happy to wait for the wedding, and not roll their eyes at the sight of you, realizing that in the next three hours the conversation will only be about the banquet menu?
- Don’t make important decisions about getting married without a groom . Even if he says that all this is not important to him, it is not true. Discuss key issues together.
Don’t be too demanding of yourself after your engagement! Enjoy the new status and give yourself time to take a closer look at what is happening around you.